The continuous stream of news surrounding Hunter Biden and his legal entanglements is causing significant concern within the Democratic Party.
As President Joe Biden gears up for his reelection campaign, these issues become controversial and distracting. Democrats are increasingly vocal about the negative impact of this on the campaign.
Hunter’s troubles add to President Biden’s multiple challenges
Hunter Biden’s troubles come when President Biden’s campaign team already deals with several challenges. Concerns about the President’s age, questions about his mental acuity, and a struggling economy have contributed to a decline in his approval ratings. Various polls reflect this downturn:
- According to FiveThirtyEight, Biden is regarded as the least popular president in modern U.S. history.
- A CNN Poll reveals a 67 percent disapproval rating concerning Biden’s handling of the economy, a critical issue for the 2024 election.
- Redfield & Wilton Strategies report that a majority of Democrats express concerns over Biden’s ability to perform his job effectively due to his age.
Democrat expresses concern over Hunter Biden’s impact on campaign
A Democrat strategist, who previously worked on Clinton’s 2016 campaign, expressed significant worries about the situation. “I have a pit in my stomach about it,” the strategist told the Messenger, comparing the current crisis to the email controversy that plagued Hillary Clinton’s campaign.
They believe the Hunter Biden story can potentially damage Joe Biden’s campaign seriously.
Brad Bannon on Hunter Biden’s added challenges to presidency
Brad Bannon, another Democrat strategist, shared his perspective with the Messenger.
He acknowledges that while Hunter Biden’s situation is not the most significant issue the President faces, it certainly adds to the challenges of an already embattled presidency, marred by economic woes and concerns about the President’s age.
Comparing Hunter Biden’s controversy to past political challenges
“The controversy about Hunter Biden’s financial dealings might play the same role for Republicans that Hillary Clinton’s emails did in 2016,” Bannon noted, highlighting the potential for this issue to be politically weaponized.
Jamie Raskin (D-MD), the House Oversight Ranking Member leading the Democrats’ opposition to the impeachment inquiry, remained non-committal when asked about the impact of Hunter Biden on the President’s campaign.
“I don’t know whether or not it’s hurting him,” he stated. Raskin hopes the American public will look beyond these issues, perceiving them as a strategic attempt to cast a shadow over the Biden family.
Public opinion and polls
Recent polls indicate a growing skepticism among Americans regarding both Hunter and Joe Biden:
- ABC News/Ipsos found that a plurality of Americans lack confidence in how the Justice Department handled the investigation into Hunter Biden.
- Yahoo/YouGov polling shows a majority of voters believe President Joe Biden may have committed a crime in connection with Hunter Biden.
- According to TIPP, 63 percent of respondents believe Joe Biden violated the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) by assisting Hunter Biden in a Ukraine deal.
This accumulation of concerns and negative perceptions poses a significant challenge to President Biden’s reelection campaign, with Hunter Biden’s legal issues at the forefront.